Blog Archive

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Family and Connections

We have always had an odd family.  Dad was the baby.  My Grandmother had him when she was 45 years old.  Quite a feat in the 1930's.  I understand she was sure she would soon die and he was raised by his sister to some extent.  As the youngest, he was so very very out of the infighting between the older brothers.  I am not sure of the history of all of that but there were bad feelings and broken relationships. 

As the eldest of the youngest, I knew everyone and was oblivious to the problems between the siblings for years.  Over the years of have picked up bits and pieces but don't really know the whole story. Not that it needs to be told. 

What I did know was that there was a bevy of wonderful older cousins that loved me. My oldest cousin is in her 70's and the others are headed that direction.  Because Dad was 15 years younger then his oldest brother, Little cousin Sally was a great play thing.  I have wonderful memories of time with the "old" cousins.  The younger bunch missed out on lots of time with Grandma and Grandpa.  Our grandparents were always feeble and a bit batty.  Grandma smelled funny to me but she had wonderful soft skin.  She had really really big holes in her ear lobes that scared me.  I asked Dad about them and he told me she had warn heavy earrings and that was why.  To this day I fear dangly earrings.   She did always read me Peter Rabbit.  A story I still love to have read to me.

As I have been digging, I was fortunate to uncover some pretty special things.  One of them being this picture. It is of Cousin Cathy, Judd and maybe Susan.  I hope they remember it and have seen it and can tell me more about it.  Where were they, what was the occasion? The usual.

While we are moving forward in our lives and facing our own "stuff".  It is amazing how much a small photo, found in an old box of letters and pieces of paper can reveal a moment.  A connection to a long lost past.  Not a huge moment, but a significant moment.  A time of joy, childhood, a time in the past when things were just about family filled afternoons.

I fully expect my cousins to let me know what these pictures are all about.  

Love you guys.

No comments: