Blog Archive

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Coming to A Realization and Coming To Terms.

I have been a in bit of a fog recently.  After hearing some good things for once, I decided I needed to make a pot of Sauerkraut Soup.  No now one else thinks it is a good idea but I went to the store and gathered all the ingredients. 

Kielbasa, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, onions, garlic and sauerkraut. 

As I was gathering these key ingredients, I began to notice something in the grocery store.  Stuffing Mix, large stacks of boxed free range, shade grown, free trade, gluten free, caffeine free, chicken broth, Brussel sprout stalks, turkeys, canned pumpkin and.... oh dear.  Why are their little Pilgrims everywhere?  Halloween just happened!!!

I pulled a Karl Rove and convinced myself it was not true.  Denial is always the first step. 
I then panicked a bit.  I called Better Meats and they were closed.  No turkey ordered.  The table is not in order, the toasting flutes have not been gathered.  It is just happening too fast!!!

I came home, checked my calendar and just had to face up to it.  I have only a week to figure out dinner.  It is not as easy as it seems.

A. What kind of pie?
B. What kind of jello surprise?
C. Sweet potatoes and Yams?
D. Do we have time to order Ezells Rolls?
E. Anything special in the dressing?
F. Garlic Mashed or do we add a few parsnips or maybe some shredded carrots?  Should we use purple carrots?

Oh, yes, I have done this dinner dozens of time, I know the recipes, I always have the timing down.  It is easy.  That is why it is so much fun.

a. Always Pumpkin and something else
b. It is called Jello Surprise so why would I know now.
c. Yes.
d. I always give this job to someone else so I never
e. It will have some apricots this year because I have lots of them and I already the free range chicken broth
f. People are afraid of parsnips so I will do regular and then do some parsnips and add to some.

See it takes a bit of time.  We need to have a moment or a month to figure out how things are and what we are going to do.  It is hard sometimes but then lots of things are hard. 

What is not hard, is cooking a turkey, having friends over and enjoying a day we can spend with friends.

We have so much to be thankful for this year.  Some might wonder how we can say that but all I can say, is we are having Thanksgiving and Mary-Elizabeth is here to set the table. 

Now I do have a beef with the Democrats.  During the Roosevelt administration the Democrats changed Thanksgiving from November 25th to every 4th Thursday.  I would really like to have Republican Thanksgiving this year!  I am sure several will agree.








No comments: