Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Dealing with Hives and Other items

We have been dealing with hives. She has had a series of very difficult times with the itching and then the reactions to the medications that sort of help but don't really help. We have taken away some of her medications and added a medication that is sort of benydryl on steroids. Sunday and Monday were a challenge. At 4:30 am, I made the decision to stay home and take care of her. Good sleep and some distracting activities help.

The car was feeling neglected. It began to show it's displeasure and grew a large bump on the side wall of one of the tires. I had to stop all activity and take it to the tire doctor. Exploding tires on freeways get you in the news. The car is still not happy. As of last night, the drivers side window will not roll up. That can be a problem. I am going to ask nicely this morning. I am going to promise the car a big tune up if it will just wait until we get to Eugene. If it does not work, I will be taking her in this morning to Honda and refinance my house this afternoon.

We had a great trip to Bellingham. We just hoped in the car and headed out of town. I am trying to convince M-E that she has not "lost" so much of her life and we can still "do normal things". She wanted to visit with Margie and work on her bead projects. So we did.

What is nice, is that Margie is old enough to drive and they could go underwear shopping by themselves. I did tell M-E that if Margie started to drink or chase boys she was to get out of the car and call me. M-E assured me that Margie had way to much common sense.

She was very quiet coming home but said" Mom thanks, I am so sorry I get so upset" I assured her that no one thought ill of her and that we all were allowed to get upset at time and to cry and to let people know how we felt. We have been through a tough year and have a long way to go. I apologized for thinking we were done and things would be back to normal and for pushing for normal so fast.

I had thought Maintance would be like getting "back to normal". Our old life. I thought things would be like they used to be. I was very wrong. Maintenance is keeping the status quo without so many trips to the doctor. It is just as much chemo or more, it is having to be diligent about food and germs and watching for bad things like fevers. We are now able to go on field trips. I guess we are sort of out of prison and in home detention like Martha.

P.S. Margie tell you mom we had a great time. I only missed a few minutes of Tommy Lee goes to college. Also, just drop by sometime when you are in Seattle. I won't tell.

P.S.2 Margie is my niece that read the blog all the time. She is about to be a senior. She is a great kid and an even better cousin.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And, add to the stress that it is only 2 weeks til school starts, and what will that look like? What is normal becomes an ever-changing picture. Hives don't sound like fun though. Hang in there.