Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Wailing and Complaining


Mom don't go...............

I am going. My dad was worried that it would be hard but then he seems to have forgotten I was raised by Mary Lanham. I can go because I know she will be okay. I can go because I know she will have a great time. I can go because I need to take care of myself and be away for a while. I will not worry. I hope.

I am reading Evidence of Things Unseen ( I can find the underline function) I thought this discussion about worry was helpful.


" You have to stop this worryin, but he knew embedded in those worries were doubts and fears that were the defining parts of Opal's motherhood. Every parent has those worries-he struggled with his own each time he saw Lightfoot embrace a stray or clamber up a tree or skate on what appeared to be thin ice. He was afraid that the boy would do a careless thing the way all boys are prone.... But Foss believed that some things happen for no reason. He believed that there was an order and a method in the ultimate design of things but he believed that that design was the end result of a lot of trial and error. ....No use asking why or how: why and how are part of the design. As soon as you construct a thing you give its opposite a license to exist. You build a tower than you also build the chance it will fall. You fall in love with safety then you also fall prey to its failure to prevent the necessary trial and error.
To think of life as foolproof is a fallacy of fools. Things happen and there's nothing you can do to keep them from occurring without taking out the magic spark plug, the genius of invention that ignited the adventure in the first place.
I gave birth to M-E and we are on this adventure together. Part of my job to teach her to be her own person and to be responsible for her life. She will be fine without me for a week-end and so will I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sally you are such an inspiration..